Whether you work in or out of the home, finding time for yourself is essential. Throughout a busy workday, it is difficult to focus on relieving stress when there are looming deadlines or pressing responsibilities. However, finding ways to give yourself a well needed boost helps to refocus your attention on the job at hand and can increase your productivity.
The good news is, there are quick and easy mind-diverting activities you can implement several times a day that can give you that much needed mental break. You may already be performing some of these activities without even realizing it.
- Name That Tune – Take 5 or 10 minutes to feed your love of music and boost your creative side. You may already have some favorite music downloaded on your phone, if not you can find instrumental or synthesizer apps.
- Calling All Artists – Take a few minutes and simply doodle. Be creative! You may consider using an adult coloring book.
- Peace Out – Relax through meditation. Find a secluded spot, whether it’s behind your closed office door or outside under a tree and begin some deep breathing exercises. This will help center yourself and relax your mind.
- Grab Your Shovel – Create a small Zen garden for your desk. Nothing relaxes you more than the natural elements of a garden. Be creative and take a few minutes to draw unique designs in the sand.
- Let’s Get Physical – Channel your energy and clear your mind through exercise. Take a 5-15 minute walk to give your brain more than a simple diversion and it will help meet your daily step goal.
- Cat Nap – Whether it is just closing your eyes for a few minutes or taking a short nap in your car for 10-30 minutes, a nap on your lunch break is the best way to recharge your batteries.
- Fidget, Fidget, Fidget – Get yourself involved in the latest craze, the fidget gadget. No one needs to know you are taking a mental break with this convenient and quiet fad.
These are just a few suggestions that can be implemented multiple times a day or during your lunch break. It is important to include mental diversions in your daily life to keep your brain stimulated and healthy. Watch your productivity grow and your stress level drop. Let us know how these suggestions have helped you or if there are any stress reducing activities you would like to share. Reach us at email@example.com.